USI Privacy Notice
Consent for collection, use or disclosure of personal information
The following is provided to you on behalf of the Student Identifiers Registrar (Registrar).
You are advised and agree that you understand and consent that the personal information you provide in connection with your application for a Unique Student Identifier (USI):
- is collected by the Registrar as authorised by the Student Identifiers Act 2014
- is collected by the Registrar for the purposes of:
- applying for, verifying and giving a USI;
- resolving problems with a USI; and
- creating authenticated vocational education and training (VET) transcripts;
- may be disclosed to:
- Commonwealth and State/Territory government departments and agencies and statutory bodies performing functions relating to VET for:
- the purposes of administering and auditing VET, VET providers and VET programs;
- education related policy and research purposes; and
- to assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies;
- VET Regulators to enable them to perform their VET regulatory functions;
- VET Admission Bodies for the purposes of administering VET and VET programs;
- current and former Registered Training Organisations to enable them to deliver VET courses to the individual, meet their reporting obligations under the VET standards and government contracts and assist in determining eligibility for training subsidies;
- schools for the purposes of delivering VET courses to the individual and reporting on these courses;
- the National Centre for Vocational Education Research for the purpose of creating authenticated VET transcripts, resolving problems with USIs and for the collection, preparation and auditing of national VET statistics;
- researchers for education and training related research purposes;
- any other person or agency that may be authorised or required by law to access the information;
- any entity contractually engaged by the Student Identifiers Registrar to assist in the performance of his or her functions in the administration of the USI system; and
- will not otherwise be disclosed without your consent unless authorised or required by or under law.
The consequences for not providing the Registrar with some or all of your personal information are that the Registrar will not be able to issue you with a USI.
Privacy policies and complaints
The information you provide through the USI application process:
- is collected by the Student Identifiers Registrar for a number of purposes
- may be disclosed to a number of organisations, departments, regulators and other persons where it is reasonably necessary for the purposes of performing functions or exercising powers
- will not otherwise be disclosed without their consent unless authorised or required by or under law.
Detailed information on the use of your information can be found in Division 5 – Collection, use or disclosure of student identifiers of the Student Identifiers Act 2014.
Students can find out more about how the Student Identifiers Registrar collects, uses and discloses their personal information:
- how students can access and seek correction of the personal information held about them
- how to make a complaint about a breach of privacy by the Registrar in connection with the USI
- how complaints are handled
The student can also make a complaint to the Information Commissioner about an interference with privacy pursuant to the Privacy Act 1988. This includes the misuse or interference of or unauthorised collection, use, access, modification or disclosure of USIs.