Participants will learn all the signs and symptoms of depression, anxiety, psychosis and substance use disorder, and how to provide initial support to a person who is developing a mental illness or experiencing a mental health crisis.
Learners will also learn MHFA action plan on how, what, when and where to administer mental health first aid.
This course is evidence-based and addresses possible crisis circumstances based on the mental health problems, providing learners with practical mental health first aid response techniques.
Crisis situations covered include:
- suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- non-suicidal self-injury
- panic attacks
- traumatic events
- severe psychotic states
- severe effects from alcohol or other drug use
- aggressive behaviours
MHFA training participants will gain skills to recognise a mental health crisis, respond and support the individual to their positive health, recovery and return to work including:
- Awareness of just how common mental health issues are among communities.
- De-stigmatise mental health illness, increase knowledge and understanding
- Recognising if a person is going through difficult times due to a mental health problem.
- Support someone suffering from a mental health crisis or condition when professional assistance and support is not available
Accreditation: (OPTIONAL) You can complete an online assessment after the course if you would like to become Accredited. Please speak to Sebnem if you are interested in this additional assessment.
ASTRA use various assessment methods and techniques, including skill and knowledge assessments as an essential step to ensure you progress through your course. You may be assessed in a number of ways while you are studying and training with ASTRA, including observation, written assessment and questioning techniques.
We understand that subject matter can be delicate in nature or may evoke emotional discussion. ASTRA Trainers and representatives will provide support and guidance throughout the course in a caring and understanding manner.